- 4 mackerels
- 1 piece of ginger
- 4 shallots chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 spring curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 7-8 pieces of sour mango/2 coccum (I used both since my mango was not that sour)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup grated coconut
- small piece of ginger
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsp chilly powder
- 3/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Clean and cut each mackerel into two pieces
- Grind everything in particular section to a smooth paste adding water
- Heat coconut oil in a Man chatty (earthernware) or pot and splutter fenugreek seeds.
- Add ginger,green chillies,chopped shallots,curry leaves and sauté well.
- Mix in the turmeric powder.Add water and let it simmer.
- Add mango pieces/coccum and cook with a closed lid for 3 minutes
- Pour the coconut paste along with little water cleaning the grinding jar and shake the pot holding both sides.
- Bring to boil and cook in medium flame for another 5-6 minutes or till the gravy turns thicker and oil floats over the top.The curry usually is a medium thick gravy.
- Serve with Choru/cooked rice and thoran !!